Ephesians 6:13-14

Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, TO STAND. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about WITH TRUTH, and having on the breastplate of righteousness.

* * * * *

Monday, September 27, 2010

Provoking Not your Children to Wrath

There are just some things in the Bible that don't make much sense to certain people. They find it hard to understand as it hasn't become personal to them. But once it does, and they understand it, boy does it make it much clearer!

For example, there's a verse in the Bible written to fathers. It states:

And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. (Eph 6:4)

When I read this before, I used to think about my Dad, and how sometimes he'd make me angry. And I think I've even quoted it to him once or twice.

But I've never really thought of it as me being the father to my child. And you know what I've found out. My wife pointed out that this verse is written in the Bible because sometimes fathers do have a tendency to provoke their children to anger. And you know what's worse? I think sometimes they (or I should say "we") do it on purpose!

I've found that in each one of us is a little bit of an honery spirit. We like to tease and joke around with others. But sometimes, we can go too far!

I've found I do that with my daughter sometimes. I enjoy getting down on the floor and playing with her, but sometimes, I find I'm the more childish one, as I begin to tease her and sometimes even do exactly what God said not to: provoke her. But, I'm working on that.

And I've learned a lot about females too. You've got to treat them "delicately." Boy, I sure can't wait to have a baby boy, so I can play around and rough house with him. Because that's something you can't really do with a girl. Oh, I'm not saying I'm going to provoke him to wrath, I just want to play with him and teach him how to wrestle and the like. Maybe one day.

Until then, I'll try to continue to follow the word of God, and make sure I do my best not to provoke my little darling Emma. She's just too sweet!


My darling little Emma Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment