Ephesians 6:13-14

Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, TO STAND. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about WITH TRUTH, and having on the breastplate of righteousness.

* * * * *

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

THE SIN OF PRIDE

It's time now to look at another huge sin that is rampant today which is not hardly even touched or preached against by most pastors. Why? I think it's because they are GUILTY of this sin, and that's why they don't speak out against it. The sin is the sin of PRIDE.
The word "pride" shows up 49 times in 46 verses in our King James Bible. And the word "proud" appears 48 times in 47 verses. So the Bible has much to say about the subject.
There is probably no sin greater, and no sin preached less about then "pride." For pride was the very first sin ever committed. As you read your Bible, you find Satan becoming puffed up with pride as he looked at himself and his beauty. In Isaiah we read of God talking about Lucifer (the Devil), and we see God quoting Him:
Isa 14:13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
Isa 14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
Isa 14:15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.
Isa 14:16 They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms;
Five times Lucifer said, "I will." However, he soon found out his own will led to his downfall. His PRIDE led to his wanting to knock God off His throne, and becoming like the most High, yet God instead cast him into Hell. Yes, pride is a powerful sin with the most horrific consequences. Yet we seldom ever hear any preaching against it. Why it that?
According to the Bible, to be "prideful" or full of pride is a grevious sin, one that God hates. But don't take my word for it. Just look at some scriptures about it:
Psa 101:4 A froward heart shall depart from me: I will not know a wicked person.
Psa 101:5 Whoso privily slandereth his neighbour, him will I cut off: him that hath an high look and a proud heart will not I suffer.
Prov 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
Prov 6:17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
Prov 6:18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
Prov 6:19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.
Prov 16:5 Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.
Prov 21:4 An high look, and a proud heart, and the plowing of the wicked, is sin.
Truly, God is unhappy with those who are prideful. In fact, we read in Job 41:34, that Leviathan, (Lucifer or Satan) is the "king over all the children of pride." Do you realize what that is saying? When you are prideful and proud, you are allowing the Devil to reign over you! What a heinous sin!!!
Are there prideful people out there today with proud hearts? Yes there are. And sadly, many of them claim to be Christians. It's sad to see men who claim the name of Christ with puffed up attitudes and prideful spirits, but they are out there. Many of them are even pastors and deacons, who are proud of where they went to school, where they attend church, which group they partain to, etc. Their pride is in MAN instead of THE MAN Christ Jesus.
But who are these prideful men? I think the answer is obvious, and it's easy to tell who they are. For the Bible tells us in Proverbs 13:10, "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." Any man who is contentious is full of pride, period.
We clearly see this in Prov. 26:21, when it states: "As coals are to burning coals, and wood to fire; so is a contentious man to kindle strife."
I've been blest to have been around and to have met many pastors, missionaries, deacons, and preachers. And I'm sad to say that they are some of the most prideful people I've ever met. How do I know this? Because of the contention they brew among the brethren.
Modern Fundamentalism is a great big hot bed of angry men yelling at each other. If you don't believe me, look at some of the websites and talk forums and discussion groups around on the internet. I remember a few years ago looking at one, and the producer of the site wrote an email to all those who signed onto the discussion boards, asking them to not use bad language nor write bad things to each other, rather to discuss nicely. If I remember correctly, some people were even prohibited from returning to the site for their unchristian-like posts. What is that all about? Answer: PRIDE!
I don't like arguing or debating with people. I continually remember this verse when someone tries to pick a fight with me.
The beginning of strife is as when one letteth out water: therefore leave off contention, before it be meddled with. (Prov 17:14)
As I've read through the Bible, and see the things God says about pride, I've decided I don't even want to use the word. I remember my Dad used to say things to me like, "Son, I'm PROUD of you!" I'd immediately correct him, "Dad, please don't say your PROUD of me. Instead say what God said about his son Jesus, I'm Well PLEASED with you! Don't be proudful!"
I've caught myself time and again saying to my wife or my daughter, "I'm so proud of you," but then correcting myself, "Er, I mean, I'm pleased with you!"
Why? Because pride and being proud are sin.
This is why it's so important to to be "humble." Jesus said in Matthew 23:12, "And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted."
In James 4:6 we read: "But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble."
And again in James 4:10, we are promised: "Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up."
It's important to be humble instead of prideful. Why? Because the Pharisees were those who were full of pride. They were proud of their position, their possessions, and their power, and they thought they could do whatever they wanted. Their pride deluded them into thinking they were the most important people in the world, and it led to their forgetting God. This then led to their downfall and demise.
Modern Day Pharisees also are guilty of the same pride of their spiritual ancestors of old. Fame, fortune, and fortitude make them think they are untouchable and can get away with anything. It also leads to them doing things their way instead of God's way. And what happens next? They say the same thing that Laodicea said in Revelation chapter three:
"...I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing."
Little do they realize they have great need of humility, and oftentimes of SALVATION.
That's right, I said it. Oftentimes a person who is full of pride is LOST! Certainly the Pharisees of old were not saved. They were holding on to their own self-righteousness, and would not submit themselves unto the righteousness of Christ Jesus.
Those same religious goons live and walk among us today, and oftentimes their pride blinds them to the truth. The sin of pride leads to deception and even damnation to those who refuse to give up trusting in themselves to trust Christ alone.
Am I saying that all preachers are lost today? Certainly not! But I am asking the question. If they are prideful, and that pride leads to them becoming contentious to the truth, doesn't that give us a great insight into their own spiritual condition? Could it be, and all I'm doing is asking the question, I'm not even going to attempt to answer it, I'll let you do that yourself, but could it be that they are not saved, and that's why they are so contentious to the truth???
PRIDE damned the Devil. It also damned the Pharisees. As we read the Bible, we find pride is the reason for all contention in the world. And we even find that pride leads to a mighty fall.
(Like one preacher said, "It's not those outward sins that are so wicked. It's those inward sins that do the most damage, those inward sins that no one else sees but God!")
Are you prideful? You ought to repent of it, and humble yourself before God!
"...For God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble. Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time." (1 Pet 5:5b-6)

No comments:

Post a Comment